Stand Your Ground isn’t the only legislation ALEC has peddled to state legislators. The group is also responsible for bills that block workers from getting paid sick leave, efforts to stop whistleblowers trying to expose horrific agricultural practices, and many, many bills meant to stop environmental regulations and education about climate change. The latter is likely thanks to the group’s ties to the Koch Brothers, billionaires who made their fortune in the oil industry.
A Florida woman who fired warning shots against her allegedly abusive husband has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state’s “Stand Your Ground” law should apply to her because she was defending herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she had already taken out a protective order.
A jury has acquitted George Zimmerman, but we are not done demanding justice for Trayvon. Sign our petition to the Department of Justice today.
Part of the preparations Dewhurst alludes to, however, reportedly include confiscating tampons and sanitary napkins — but not guns:
- Tampons Confiscated – More Dangerous Than Guns in Texas (guardianlv.com)
- Tampons confiscated and banned, but guns A-OK during Texas anti-abortion hearings (deathandtaxesmag.com)
- Tampons Confiscated, Guns Allowed as Texas Senate Debates Abortion (theatlanticwire.com)
- Texas Senate Removes Tampons of Mass Destruction (crooksandliars.com)
- Texas Senate confiscates tampons while debating anti-abortion bill (syndicatednewsservices.com)
- Texas Senate: Weapons of Mass Absorption (radicalcentristblog.wordpress.com)
- Tampons and Maxi Pads Banned From Texas Senate (But Guns Are Cool) (jezebel.com)
- Texas State Capitol neutralizes tampon threat (dailydot.com)
- Texas Senate Anti-Choice Debate: Tampons Confiscated, Guns Not a Problem (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Tampons Confiscated, Guns Allowed as Texas Senate Debates Abortion (news.yahoo.com)
Blackburn would seem to be an odd choice to help Republicans improve their popularity with women. On “Meet the Press” just two weeks ago she made headlines by insisting women “don’t want” equal pay laws (she of course voted against the Lilly Ledbetter fair pay act.) Now she’s insisting that the House GOP’s anti-abortion bill is meant to help women, too. While it now includes an exception for victims of rape and incest, it will only apply to women who have reported those crimes to police, when a majority of survivors do not.
SNAP kept 4.7 million families out of poverty in 2011 alone. It has one of the lowest fraud rates of any federal program, and with a return of nearly $2 for every dollar spent it is one of the most efficient ways the government can spend money to help people. Experts say severing the program from the farm bill exposes it to being neglected or gutted.
Even though low-wage jobs are becoming an increasingly large share of the economy, the compensation for those workers has fallen even more rapidly than for better paid jobs, a new report released on Tuesday by the National Employment Law Project shows.